Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 9 Shop Docs Common Questions and Answers

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Overview

Documenting the manufacturing plan and the specifics of the NC program are important pieces of the part manufacturing process. This Tech Tip covers several Questions and Answers regarding Shop Documentation in NX CAM.

original.png

Created with NX 9

Details

Nine questions about Shop Documentation customization are compiled here:

1. How do I find the MOM variable that corresponds to a particular user input?
  2. How do I find a MOM variable that is not listed on sheet 2 of the OOTB template?
  3. How can I combine mom variables to get a sum total?
  4. What does the message "Error opening output file" mean?
  5. Does Shop Docs support any version of Excel prior to Excel 2007?
  6. Can the Postprocess dialog box still be used to create shop documentation?
  7. How do I output a Microsoft Word document?
  8. How do I output a pdf file?
  9. How can I specify the number of decimal places in Shop Docs output?

Following these questions, the Additional Notes section covers important need-to-know facts about Shop Docs. 

Question: How do I find the MOM variable that corresponds to a particular user input? For example, I would like to output the Stepover Maximum Distance in my shop documentation. How do I find the MOM variable that corresponds to Maximum Distance?

Answer:

1. In NX, edit an operation (i.e. Cavity Mill) that contains the user input in the dialog box.
  2. Key in a unique, identifiable value such as 1.2345:

Image1.jpg

3. Click OK to finish editing the operation.

4. With the operation highlighted in the Operation Navigator, select Shop Documentation.

5. In the Shop Documentation dialog box, select the desired Report Format (template), set the Review Tool to On.

6. Click OK to generate Shop Doc output.

7. Close the NX Post Debug lister dialog.

8. Go to the directory where the part file is saved.

9. In that directory, open the newest *_debug.out file in a text editor (sort by Date Modified).

10. Do a search for the text string 1.234 and you will find:

Image2.jpg

11. The MOM variable you will need to use in your customized template is mom_stepover_distance.

Question: How do I find a MOM variable for operation machining time that is not listed on sheet 2 of the OOTB template?

Answer:

Sheet 2 is an incomplete list of MOM variables. While sheet 2 lists the most commonly used MOM variables, all MOM variables that Shop Docs uses can be referenced by using the Review Tool or found by searching the debug.out file.

1. Select an operation (referred to as a “member” in the Review Tool) in the Operation Navigator and select Shop Documentation.

2. In the Shop Documentation dialog box, select the desired Report Format (template), set the Review Tool to On:

Image7.jpg

3. Click OK to generate Shop Doc output.

In the NX Post Debug lister dialog, click on an event in the first column to list the associated MOM variables in the second column. You might be able to find the desired MOM variable using this “hunt & peck” method, but searching the debug.out file for the desired MOM variable is easier. Do this:

4. Go to the directory where the part file is saved.

5. In that directory, open the newest *_debug.outfile in a text editor (sort by Date Modified).

6. Do a search for the word time and you will find:

Var: mom_toolpath_time = 94.71146749849486900

This value equates to the Time listed in the Operation Navigator for the selected member or members. It is the NX operation machining time as opposed to the postprocessor machining time.

7. If you scroll up you will see that this variable is listed under Event 5: MOM_MEMBERS_HDR

This is the event inside the NX Post Debug Lister in which you will find the variables of the member (operation) you selected.

8. Copy mom_toolpath_time into your customized Shop Docs template.

Question: How can I combine mom variables to get a sum total?

Answer: To add, for example, tool length and shank length and output in the tool list select template:

Image3.jpg

The syntax is:

'= ${mom_tool_length} + ${mom_tool_tapered_shank_length}

The calculation is done only when the html output is displayed in Excel.

Question: What does the message "Error opening output file" mean?

Image6.jpg

Answer: It means you had an output window displayed when attempting to create another output. Close the displayed output window(s) before generating another output.

Question: Does Shop Docs support any version of Excel prior to Excel 2007?

Answer: As we provided our templates in .xlsx, Shop Docs only supports Excel 2007 and later.

Question: Can the Postprocess dialog box still be used to create shop documentation?

Answer: No.

Question: How do I output a Microsoft Word document?

AnswerFor .txt output, change the file extension to .doc. Just create a .txt file and in a explorer window change the extension to .doc – then double click.

For html output viewed in Excel, save as .xlsx file. Open in Word and save as .docx.

Question: How do I output a pdf file?

Answer:  Shop Docs does not output in pdf format directly.  Output in Excel, and then save as pdf.

Question: How can I specify the number of decimal places in Shop Docs output?

Answer:  In NX9, you can control the number of decimal places output in both html and Excel.  In your Excel template, format the cell so that Category = Number, and decimal places = the number of decimal places you wish to output. Prior to NX9, specifying the number of decimal places will only affect Excel output. 

Additional Notes

1. UGII_CAM_SHOP_DOC_DIR environment variable determines where the Shop Doc function looks for templates 

2. The shopdoc_excel.tcl file inside the excel_templates folder specifies where Shop Docs will look for the excel.exe file. Example:

set execute_file {C:\\apps\\MSOffice\\Office14\\excel.exe}

Be sure this path is correct for your installation if you have Excel. If it does not find Excel (or if you don’t have it), then the output will be displayed by the HTML browser only.

3. Display Output toggle:

Display Output On = displays HTML output in Excel and browser for HTML/Excel templates.
Display Output On = displays text output for TEXT templates.
Display Output Off = displays HTML output in Excel for HTML/Excel templates.
Display Output Off = displays no output for TEXT templates.

4. Other platforms (MacOS, Linux) will not display the output automatically.

5. “Select” templates work only if a single object is selected. Warnings are displayed in listing device and syslog if:

• A template containing MOM_cycle_objects for selected objects is used, but no object is selected.
  • A template containing MOM_cycle_objects for selected objects is used and more than one object is selected.

6. File definitions:

• .xlsxis the Excel file containing your edits and all mom variables on sheet 2. This is the authoring file.
  • .htmis the template the system uses to create the shop doc output.
  • shop_doc.datdetermines what you see in the user interface and specifies which .tcl and .tpl files to use.
  • .tclDetermines which .htm file to process. It must have the same name as the .htm file so that the system knows which .htm file to process. When a new template has been created, the .tcl file of an existing template can be copied and renamed.
  • .tpldetermines whether the template processes “select”ed objects (new templates) or “all” objects (old templates).
  • shopdoc_excel.tcl and shopdoc_excel.tpl are used in all Excel-html templates.

7. Shopdocs is supported in Teamcenter. However:

• When running in managed mode, Shop Documentation output must be checked into Teamcenter 9.0or later. Shop documentation files will not import correctly into a pre-9.0 version of Teamcenter.
  • You can open HTML output generated from new templates in TC9.1 by double-clicking the HTML output icon inside the Manufacturing Activities tab. In TC9.0, you must open the HTML output using the TC Navigator.
  • All old (pre-NX8) templates work with TC just as they did in NX7.5.

8. Obsolete Templates

The Postprocess dialog will no longer be used to create Shop Documentation. The following templates will be commented out of the Postprocessor list:

Image9.jpg

Note: If you want to use pre-NX 8 templates, remove the comment sign (#) in the shop_doc.dat file . The file is located in MACH\resource\shop_doc.

9. In NX9, you can create notes for operations and descriptions (up to 130 characters) for all objects (Geometry groups, Programs, and Methods) in the Operation Navigator.  A Notes and Description object may be customized into the operation dialog box. The Notes button will display a dialog box which can be used for comments, notes, revision history, instructions, etc.

Image23.gif

• Use ${mom_operation_description} in the table of the shopdoc_template_English_operation_list_select.xlsx template to output descriptions in Shop Docs.
  • Use ${mom_operation_notes} in the table of the shopdoc_template_English_operation_list_select.xlsx template to output descriptions in Shop Docs.

Important: ${mom_operation_notes} does not work in NX9. PR6951564 has been submitted.

10. “Received an error 1770010” will display in NX9 if a value cannot be output  because the parameter specified by a mom variable does not exist in the operation (ex. mom_wall_stock cannot output a value for a drilling operation). The correct behavior is to output  “- -“ when a value cannot be output. This problem has been corrected in  NX9.0.1.

11. Mom variables cannot be read from objects in the Operation Navigator other than operations. This, for example, is why ${mom_part_material_code} can only be used within the template table, displaying output for each operation and cannot be used within the title area. This is a known issue that is currently being addressed by an open problem report. If you wish to display the part material in the title section of your Shop Doc output, you need to use a part attribute:

Image1.gif

12. Printing and Page Formatting

The Excel template provides minimal configurable options to help you specify the content length of each page.

Image10.jpg

The numeric input field next to PAGE CONTENT LENGTH determines the distance between the Page : ${cur_page} of ${total_pages} markers in the .html output. The value must be a positive real number.

If the value is “0” or empty, the content will be output without pagination. That is, “Page: 1 of 1” will appear at the top of the output and no other markers will follow it.

If the value you enter is greater than 0 but less than the title block length (distance between TITLE START and the first TABLE START markers) and REPEAT TITLE is set to Yes, then minimum length between markers is the title block + 1 table row. This assures that the title block plus 1 successive table row will appear on each page.

If the value is greater than 0 but less than the title block length (distance between ###TITLE START### and the first ###TABLE START### markers), and REPEAT TITLE is set to No, then the minimum length between markers is the title block. This assures that the title block will appear on the first page followed by a continuous table on subsequent pages.

Do you have a question?

Post your questions or comments at the bottom of this Tech Tip. (You must be signed in to access this feature.)

About the Author

Holder.jpg Bill Storrs is in the CAM Product Management Group at Siemens PLM software, Cypress California. His main focus is on CAM usability and learning support. He currently leads the CAM Learning Initiative Team whose mission is to provide users with a comprehensive collection of reference and training materials. He has an M.A. in Corporate Training and Development and has been in the industry for over 20 years.

Comments
Pioneer
Pioneer

When using .html Shop Docs in V9 , NX will dump all the .jpg,.gif, .png, .xml, etc., loosely in the file folder my NX .prt file is saved in. This will create quite a mess in this folder. What would be the proper to get NX shop docs to create a folder for those items but leave the .htm outside of it. I have an example below of what I would like to see. We use a separate folder for our shop docs than for our NX part files, but are all contained within the main job file for a particular customer/part we are manufacturing. So it seems to me that I need to come up with the proper syntax to back up one folder, go to the shop doc folder, create a folder using the nc-program name and dump those .jpg, .gif, etc. files into it leaving the .htm file outside.

Untitled.jpg

VIP
VIP

If you are running in native, try turning on library output. This creates a folder for every setup, and every post or shopdoc output. Either select cam_library.dat as your configuration, or edit your configuration and add the line below.

LIBRARY_CAM_OUTPUT,${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TEMPLATE_DIR}cam_output.def,${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TEMPLATE_DIR}cam_output.tcl

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the feedback Mark. You're going to have to go slow with me, our previous programmer use to handle these things and I'm a bit new to the NX configure stuff. When you say " select cam_library.dat as configuration, or edit your configuration", what configuration are you referring to? 

VIP
VIP

When you enter CAM, you have a configuration that defines your CAM environment - your templates, libraries, posts, etc. The files are in mach\resource\configuration.

OOTB, if you enter Manufacturing and create a setup in your work part, the configuration is the choice in the upper list.

To change the configuration from within CAM, go to Menu --> Preferences --> Manufacturing --> Configuration.

Dreamer
Dreamer

Thank you for this share!

I still facing problem on excel shop docs, how can I list the minimum tool length in every operation, so the output can be informed to the NC operator about minimum length .

Genius
Genius
Hi all, How could be configured on NX shop doc output, instead of .HTML a .XLS extension? For taking out the shop doc on excel format.
Dreamer
Dreamer

Hi, How can I trim trailing decimals when I create a document. For instance my spindle rpm outputs as 3000.00000000000000000

Thanks

Pioneer
Pioneer

I would like to include the overall tool and holder length 

('= ${mom_tool_length} + ${mom_tool_tapered_shank_length} + ${mom_tool_holder_length})

except I get an error that the shank length variable does not exist and no value for $mom_tool_holder_length seems to exist despite all 3 of these being defined inside NX.

Is there something I need to do similar to the global TCL command to find these values?

I am also interested in removing the trailing zeros!

VIP
VIP

The variables you have chosen may not always be defined.

I would use these:

mom_tool_extension_length = tool + holder - offset
mom_tool_holder_overall_length = total of all holder steps.

The best way to select mom variable is to turn on the review tool, and then examine the debug file that is produced.

VIP
VIP

If you have new questions beyond those covered in this tech tip, please post them in the Manufacturing Discussion Forum.

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

How can I create link some Excel function from template file to output file ( ex: =sum ()..)

LIVE Tech Tip Webinars
Watch NX experts demonstrate manufacturing best practices. Stay online for Q&A.