Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX CAM Innovation - Adaptive Milling Pillar Cutting

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When you are using Adaptive Milling to do a morphed spiral to rough an open region (Face Milling or geometries without walls), it can happen that a small pillar is left in the middle during the cut. Especially in hardened or very tough materials it might occur that this pillar starts to bend instead of being cut and, therefore, is a high possibility that it is getting work hardened. This can damage the tool or can heavily increase tool wear.  It can also happen that the remaining pillar is getting ripped off and might remain behind in pockets or cavities of the part.

Following tools for finish toolpaths might take damage through plunging on that piece.

This is why Siemens came up with the innovative Adaptive Milling Pillar Cutting feature to address this common problem, which occurs in high dynamic cutting toolpaths.  You have the ability to select the Cut with Helical Motion in the Cutting Parameters dialog in Adaptive Milling.

adaptive milling pillar cutting.png

Capabilities

• Automatically detects, if a small pillar is left during the Spiral Facing in Adaptive Milling
  • Leaves a cylindrical geometry which is milled with Helical Motion
  • Custom Feeds and Speeds and the Ramp Angle from the Helical Engage settings in the NCM dialog will be applied to the Pillar Cutting
  • The full capabilities of the Pillar Cutting are included in NX version 12.0.2

We recommend using the Pillar Cutting for hard and tough materials and a cut depth up to three times the diameter. In softer steels and aluminum, continuing with the Adaptive Pattern is still the preferred choice, since this has advantages in the machining time.

The video shows the capabilities of the Adaptive Milling Pillar Cutting.

If you are using the Cut with Helical Motion option, Adaptive Milling will automatically detect when a pillar is being left.  It will leave a cylinder and cut this cylinder with a helical motion. The helical motion uses the Ramp Angle and Custom Feed & Speed parameters, which are being set in the Closed Area Engages in the NCM dialogue.

Customer Benefits

• Increased Tool Life – especially in hard materials like Inconel or Titanium
  • Higher Process safety

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Alexander Freund

Biography

Hi Experts, this is Alexander Freund. I am serving as Siemens’ Lead Product Manager for Mold & Die in NX CAM. I have 12 years of experience in the manufacturing industry, starting out with an apprenticeship as a toolmaker. I graduated this apprenticeship with the honors of being one of the best three toolmakers in Germany in 2009. My passion is for modern high speed milling technologies, which will help customers to accomplish their jobs faster. Besides working in the manufacturing industry, I graduated as a mechanical engineer from the Wilhelm Büchner University of Applied Sciences.

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die
Comments
Genius
Genius

Alexander,

How would you approach this situation with adaptive milling?

I have cut one part like this in steel and it broke the cutter.

In 6061 the cutter survives but it is quite loud.   

Is there a way to make adaptive milling only cut in one direction once the sliver of material reaches a certain thickness say 0.25 in.

The toolpath works great until the material is less than about 0.25 in this case. Then every time it changes direction at the end of the sliver it gets louder until it breaks the cutter in steel.

Unable to play video. Please try again later.
(view in My Videos)

Siemens Phenom

Hey Kurt,

would you mind sending the part file and the video to GTAC? The should just forward it to me as Product Manager. I would like to investigate :-)

Thanks in advance

Alexander

Genius
Genius

Alexander,

Yes I will send the file and video to GTAC. I wanted to post the part file and video on the forum but I am having trouble attaching it. The browse for file button disappeared after I attached the video to my original post. Which I see is not working.

Genius
Genius

Here is a link to another thread I started that contains a zip file of the part and video.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX-Manufacturing/Adaptive-Milling-S...

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why my ug don't have these options“bottom up cutting”“step up distance”

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Emier1986,

Adaptive Milling Bottom Up Cutting will be released in January 2019 :-) So only a couple of weeks and then you can try it out.

This is a picture of a preview version of it.

Best regards

Alexander

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @AlexanderFreund

Thanks for you hard work .I'm looking forward to it

Best regards

Emier

Contributors
LIVE Tech Tip Webinars
Watch NX experts demonstrate manufacturing best practices. Stay online for Q&A.