Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX8.5 Shop Docs Common Questions and Answers

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Overview

Documenting the manufacturing plan and the specifics of the NC program are important pieces of the part manufacturing process. This Tech Tip covers several Questions and Answers regarding Shop Documentation in NX CAM.

ShopDocQA.png

Created with NX 8.5

Details

Seven questions about Shop Documentation customization are compiled here:

1. How do I find the MOM variable that corresponds to a particular user input?
  2. How can I combine mom variables to get a sum total? 
  3. I get the following error message. What does it mean?
  4. How do you output Shop Docs as a Microsoft Word doc?
  5. Does Shop Docs support any version of Excel prior to Excel 2007? 
  6. Can the Postprocess dialog still be used to create shop Documentation?
  7. How do I find a MOM variable for operation machining time that is not listed on sheet 2 of the OOTB template? 

Question:  How do I find the MOM variable that corresponds to a particular user input? For example, I would like to output the Stepover Maximum Distance in my shop documentation. How do I find the MOM variable that corresponds to Maximum Distance?

Answer:

1. In NX, edit an operation (i.e. Cavity Mill) that contains the user input in the dialog box.
  2. Key in a unique, identifiable value such as 1.2345:

Image1.jpg

3. Click OK to finish editing the operation.

4. With the operation highlighted in the Operation Navigator, select Shop Documentation.

5. In the Shop Documentation dialog box, select the desired Report Format (template), set the Review Tool to On.

6. Click OK to generate Shop Doc output.

7. Close the NX Post Debug lister dialog.

8. Go to the directory where the part file is saved.

9. In that directory, open the newest *_debug.out file in a text editor (sort by Date Modified).

10. Do a search for the text string 1.234 and you will find:

Image2.jpg 

11. The MOM variable you will need to use in your customized template is mom_stepover_distance.

Question: How can I combine mom variables to get a sum total?

Answer:  To add, for example, tool length and shank length and output in the tool list select template:

Image3.jpg

The syntax is:

'= ${mom_tool_length} + ${mom_tool_tapered_shank_length}

The calculation is done only when the html output is displayed in Excel.

Question: I get the following error message. What does it mean?

Image6.jpg

Answer:  It means you had an output window displayed when attempting to create another output. Close the displayed output window(s) before generating another output.

Question: How do you output Shop Docs as a Microsoft Word doc?

Answer:  For .txt output, change the file extension to .doc. Just create a .txt file and in a explorer window change the extension to .doc – then double click.

For html output viewed in Excel, save as .xlsx file. Open in Word and save as .docx.

Question: Does Shop Docs support any version of Excel prior to Excel 2007?

Answer: As we provided our templates in .xlsx, Shop Docs only supports Excel 2007 and later.

Question: Can the Postprocess dialog still be used to create shop Documentation?

Answer:  No.

Question: How do I find a MOM variable for operation machining time that is not listed on sheet 2 of the OOTB template?

Answer:

Sheet 2 is an incomplete list of MOM variables. While sheet 2 lists the most commonly used MOM variables, all MOM variables that Shop Docs uses can be referenced by using the Review Tool or found by searching the debug.out file.

1. Select an operation (referred to as a “member” in the Review Tool) in the Operation Navigator and select Shop Documentation.

2. In the Shop Documentation dialog box, select the desired Report Format (template), set the Review Tool to On:

Image7.jpg

3. Click OK to generate Shop Doc output.

In the NX Post Debug lister dialog, click on an event in the first column to list the associated MOM variables in the second column. You might be able to find the desired MOM variable using this “hunt & peck” method, but searching the debug.out file for the desired MOM variable is easier. Do this:

4. Go to the directory where the part file is saved.

5. In that directory, open the newest *_debug.outfile in a text editor (sort by Date Modified).

6. Do a search for the word time and you will find:

Var: mom_toolpath_time = 94.71146749849486900

This value equates to the Time listed in the Operation Navigator for the selected member or members. It is the NX operation machining time as opposed to the postprocessor machining time.

7. If you scroll up you will see that this variable is listed under Event 5: MOM_MEMBERS_HDR

This is the event inside the NX Post Debug Lister in which you will find the variables of the member (operation) you selected.

8. Copy mom_toolpath_time into your customized Shop Docs template.

Additional Notes: 

1. UGII_CAM_SHOP_DOC_DIR environment variable determines where the Shop Doc function looks for files.

Note: Turn this variable off by typing in some character (i.e.”X”) to make the variable invalid. Then by default, it will reference U:/wnti32/nx080_phasexx/MACH/resource/shop_doc/excel_templates

2. In the production environment, the Excel files used to create the Excel-html templates are stored in:

C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 8.5\MACH\resource\shop_doc

3. The shopdoc_excel.tcl file inside the excel_templates folder specifies where Shop Docs will look for the excel.exe file. Example:

Image8.jpg 

Be sure this path is correct for your installation if you have Excel. If it does not find Excel (or if you don’t have it), then the output will be displayed by the HTML browser only.

4. Display Output toggle:

Display Output On = displays HTML output in Excel and browser for HTML/Excel templates.
Display Output On = displays text output for TEXT templates.
Display Output Off = displays HTML output in Excel for HTML/Excel templates.
Display Output Off = displays no output for TEXT templates.

5. Other platforms (MacOS, Linux) will not display the output automatically.

6.  “Select” templates work only if a single object is selected. Warnings are displayed in listing device and syslog if:

• A template containing MOM_cycle_objects for selected objects is used, but no object is selected.
  • A template containing MOM_cycle_objects for selected objects is used and more than one object is selected.

7. File definitions:

• .xlsx  is the Excel file containing your edits and all mom variables on sheet 2. This is the authoring file.
  • .htm  is the template the system uses to create the shop doc output.
  • shop_doc.datdetermines what you see in the user interface and specifies which .tcl and .tpl files to use.
  • .tclDetermines which .htm file to process. It must have the same name as the .htm file so that the system knows which .htm file to process. When a new template has been created, the .tcl file of an existing template can be copied and renamed.
  • .tpldetermines whether the template processes “select”ed objects (new templates) or “all” objects (old templates).
  • shopdoc_excel.tcl and shopdoc_excel.tpl are used in all Excel-html templates.

8. Shopdocs is supported in Teamcenter. However:

When running in managed mode, Shop Documentation output must be checked into Teamcenter 9.0 or later. Shop documentation files will not import correctly into a pre-9.0 version of Teamcenter.

You can open HTML output generated from new templates in TC9.1 by double-clicking the HTML output icon inside the Manufacturing Activities tab. In TC9.0, you must open the HTML output using the TC Navigator.

All old (pre-NX8) templates work with TC just as they did in NX7.5.

9. Obsolete Templates

The Postprocess dialog will no longer be used to create Shop Documentation.  The following templates will be commented out of the Postprocessor list:

Image9.jpg

Note: If you want to use pre-NX 8 templates, remove the comment sign (#) in the shop_doc.dat file . The file is located in MACH\resource\shop_doc.

11. Printing and Page Formatting

The Excel template provides minimal configurable options to help you specify the content length of each page.

Image10.jpg

The numeric input field next to PAGE CONTENT LENGTH determines the distance between the Page :  ${cur_page}  of  ${total_pages} markers in the .html output.  The value must be a positive real number.

If the value is “0” or empty, the content will be output without pagination. That is, “Page:  1 of 1” will appear at the top of the output and no other markers will follow it.

If the value you enter is greater than 0 but less than the title block length (distance between TITLE START and the first TABLE START markers) and REPEAT TITLE is set to Yes, then minimum length between markers is the title block + 1 table row. This assures that the title block plus 1 successive table row will appear on each page.

If the value is greater than 0 but less than the title block length (distance between ###TITLE START### and the first ###TABLE START### markers), and REPEAT TITLE is set to No, then the minimum length between markers is the title block. This assures that the title block will appear on the first page followed by a continuous table on subsequent pages.

Do you have a question?

Click 'Add a Comment' below to ask it. (You must be signed in to access this feature.)

About the Author

Holder.jpg Bill Storrs is in the CAM Product Management Group at Siemens PLM software, Cypress California. His main focus is on CAM usability and learning support. He currently leads the CAM Learning Initiative Team whose mission is to provide users with a comprehensive collection of reference and training materials. He has an M.A. in Corporate Training and Development and has been in the industry for over 20 years.
Comments
Experimenter
Experimenter

Bill,

I am customizing shop docs to output a tool list and would like to add images for each cutting tool.  Where do I need to change this?  Is there a mom variable that will do this?  Also, instead of tool time for each tool, I would like to output an accumulated time for the program?

Thanks,

DaveH

Siemens Experimenter

Hi Dave,

It is not yet possible to automatically add images for each cutting tool to Shop Doc output. However, this is an enhancement request that we are currently aware of and one that has been discussed at length.

If I understand your second question correctly, I believe mom_machine_time is the variable you will need to use. This mom variable will give you the total machine time including cutting, non-cutting, and other additional times such as tool change time.

Thanks,

bill

Experimenter
Experimenter

Can shop docs be output in another format other than html?  pdf or a word document?

thanks,

Dave

Experimenter
Experimenter

Between the table end and the body end of the shop doc, I would like to have more space for special notes that I can input via an expression and a part attribute.  Are there a limited number or characters for a string expression or part attribute?  Or, how do I change the output for the size limitation after name and date and, before body end?

Thanks,

Dave

Siemens Experimenter

To get more physical space for output in Shop Docs, increase the cell size in your Excel template. Cell will not auto-size to accomodate output content. Be sure the cell is set to allow text wrapping.  To my knowledge, there is no limit to the number characters for a string expression or part attribute.

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello Bill,

its possible to influence printing area?... I've tried it to set to my Excel template, but no influence - if I want print a new Schop doc I have to manualy set it. Now I'm not talking about height of page - this is good, but width - I have to increase width of my cells and now everytime when I make new shopdoc I have to set printing area manualy to print width on one page.

Thanks Ondra

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, 

I'm currently using NX 8.5.2.3. I was able to create my own template but I have a problem with formating. All the numbers are coming out to 10 decimal places (ex: 12.12500000000). Is there a easy way to fix this issue? 

Thanks 

Nick

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor
Hi Nick,

You can edit the decimals by outputting as excel before finally outputting as html. Doing that allows you to format the cells, i.e. number of decimals.
Do this:

* Go to the folder \MACH\resource\shop_doc\excel_templates and open shopdoc_excel.tcl in a text editor.
* In line 60 change the excel path to match your installation of Excel
[SNAGHTMLde0052]

* On my system the excel execution file is located according to this path:
* C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\excel.exe
* Save the tcl file and output your Shop Doc in NX again.

* The Display Output option is a toggle to launch the web browser and show the Shop Documentation.
[SNAGHTMLeb5564]

* If it is turned on, the default web browser will launch.
* If it is turned off, the output will still be created but not displayed.
* If you have modified shopdoc_excel.tcl as described above, you will get an output which opens excel every time you launch Shop Documentation.
* Therefore, it is advisable to turn off Display Output if you are also outputting excel to avoid getting two outputs shown.
* In the excel output you can modify cells before saving.
* That means, e.g. you can adjust the number of decimals shown in cells to a more reasonable amount.

Best Regards / Venlig Hilsen

Lars Okkels
Mfg Engineering

Siemens Industry Sector
Siemens Industry Software A/S
Borupvang 9
2750 Ballerup, Denmark
Mobile: +45 3038 6619
lars.okkels@siemens.com
www.siemens.com/plm<>
www.siemens.com/plm/community/nx/manufacturing<>

-----------------
Siemens Industry Software A/S, Borupvang 9, 2750 Ballerup, CVR-no. 31257077
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lars,

Thanks for the responce. This solution fixed my problem!

Nick  

Theorist
Theorist

Hi;

I am currently using NX 9.0.3.4

In Shop Doc, the are so many radius variables of the insert tooling in Turning modual... such as ${mom_tool_nose_radius}, ${mom_tool_radius}, ${mom_tool_button_diameter} etc...

Is there any single variable that represent turning insert radius, to spit out the correct value?

If not, can we use "If" or "Or" statement in variable? if yes, how?

Seperate subject; Can we use Conditional Formating in Excel?

Thank you

-Vea

LIVE Tech Tip Webinars
Watch NX experts demonstrate manufacturing best practices. Stay online for Q&A.