Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is PlanningRepresentation and EngineeringRepresentation?

Experimenter
Experimenter

when i'm trying to create a new weld point and assign parts to it for projection, i found only one method that in  TxPlanningOperation's method AssignPart(ITxObject). however it does'nt work for me, here is my code:

TxWeldLocationOperation weldLocOp=myCreatedWeldOperation.CreateWeldLocationOperation(weldLocOpCreationData);

TxPlanningOperation planOp=weldLocOp.PlanningRepresentation as TxPlanningOperation;

planOp.AssignPart(myPartToAssign);

that throw exception about cannt assign part to operation...

4 REPLIES

Re: what is PlanningRepresentation and EngineeringRepresentation?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Tony_yuan,

Planning Representation is the server representation of the object, the Engineering Representation is additional information added to the object when it is loaded.

In your code below, you try to assign the part to the location operation, maybe you wanted to assign it to the weld operation?

Best Regards,

DianaG

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Dear DianaG,

Thank you for your kindly reply. For the code above, i've got another way to implement it.

But, your reply about planning representation and engineering representation is useful, can i take planning representation as PD object, engineering rep as PS object?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Tonyuan,

Engineering Representation:

• Holds physical and engineering point of view, which is mostly concerned with physical location, motion and graphical appearance of objects in the 3D space.

Planning Representation:

• Holds planning point of view which is focused on the role and behavior of an object in the manufacturing process, and depends on the current backbone (eMS/ TC).

Tecnomatix Model Objects can be divided into three categories for all platforms (PS, PD):
“Pure” engineering objects
“Pure” planning objects

Objects that are shared between planning and
engineering environments - most of the objects

Objects that are saved on the server (operations, resources, parts, mfgs, etc.) has both Planning Representation and Engineering Representation, while other object like dimensions, notes, sections and others has only Engineering Representation.

When the objects are loaded (load study), they are returned by default in their Engineering Representation.

TxApplication.ActiveSelection provides several methods to get the selected object in their planning representation.

Best Regards,

DianaG

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Great, thank you for your detailed explanation!