Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Create a Robot Functional Cable Package in Process Simulate

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

(view in My Videos)

In this video, Bernard Hoessler shows how to add and configure a robot functional cable package within Process Simulate.

Created with Process Simulate

Do you have a comment or question?

Click 'Add a Comment' below to post a comment or question. (You must be signed in to access this feature.)

About the Presenter

HoesslerBernard_80x95.jpg

Bernard Hoessler is a Manufacturing Business Consultant within the Manufacturing Engineering Software Business Segment at Siemens PLM Software with global responsibility for Tecnomatix robotics solutions. Bernard has more than 20 years of experience in the field of robotics and in digital manufacturing business development.

Mike Rouman
Senior Marketing Manager
Manufacturing Engineering Software
Siemens Digital Industries Software Inc.
Comments
Pioneer
Pioneer

Esteemed Mr. Bernard Hoessler 

can you upload a download linkage for the video or send it to my E-mailbox gangw815@163.com?

i can not view the video.

thanks a lot in advance.

best wishes

wang gang

Experimenter
Experimenter
i can not view the video.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

very good!

Community Manager

The video for this post was non-functional. This issue has been corrected and the video should now be viewable.

Creator
Creator

Thank you

Creator
Creator

Hello Mr. Rouman,

if have a question regarding Process Simulate.

I have to simulate handling of wires with a UR robot. Is it possible to simulate flexible parts (wires) with the latest version of process simulate?

According to the video, it should be possible, shouldn't it?

Thank you and best regards.

Community Manager

Hello @PMrkos,

In Process Simulate, you are able to model and simulate cables that are attached to the robot itself. This is not intended to model flexible parts that might be handled by the robot, although you could  try that to see if it might address your needs. In general, Process Simulate does not support flexible parts today. The cable package that you see in this video is a special kinematic component that was modeled for this purpose. You could try to model a flexible component in a similar manner using several joints, but the motion would have to be controlled by manual jog or a program. This component would not move flexibly on its own. @BernardHoessler might have some additional suggestions or comments.

MR

Creator
Creator

Hello @MikeRouman,

thank you very much for your fast response.

Ok, that's bad for me. Do you know if it is possible with any other tool from Siemens, maybe like NX CAM Robotics or RobotExpert?

And one more question, the PLC controller I have to use is just a software controller, so we just have the control program on a PC, no controller hardware. (it's a Siemens SPS 1500 controller)

But that shouldn't be a problem?

Thank you very much, have a nice day and best regards.

Community Manager

@PMrkos,

I believe that NX Mechatronics Concept Designer (MCD) and/or NX CAM Robotics might address your needs here.

MR

Community Manager

Hello again @PMrkos,

As I suspected and after speaking with my colleague @BernardHoessler, it is possible to simulate flexible components using the Cables add-on in Process Simulate. Please see the attached video showing the manual installation of a ribbon cable using Process Simulate Human and the Cables add-on. This could be done in a similar way with a robot.

(view in My Videos)

MR

Creator
Creator

Hello @MikeRouman,

thank you very much for your help. I will try it with the Cables add-on. 

Unfortunately, I can't play the linked video. It shows me the playtime is 0:00 min. Maybe there went something wrong with the upload?.

Best regards

PMrkos

Community Manager

@PMrkos,

Sorry that you are having trouble with the video. It is about 15 seconds long and plays just fine in Google Chrome. Can you try again with Chrome or Firefox? If you are still having trouble, please let us know and we can look for an alternative way to post it.

MR

Creator
Creator

Hello @MikeRouman,

sorry for the late response. I tried to play it with Chrome, Firefox and IE and it doesn't work with any of them.

Maybe I can find this video somewhere else?

Thank you

Community Manager

Hi @PMrkos,

Please try this link - https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Downloadables/Simulating-flexible-components-with-Pr...

The video is attached for download.

MR

Creator
Creator

Hi @MikeRouman,

perfect, thank you, works well ;-)

If it works with Process Simulate Robotics, it would be awsome.

Is the Cable Add-On integrated in the latest version of Process Simulate?

Best regards

PMrkos

Community Manager

@PMrkos,

Glad to hear the the video is working for you now. Yes, Cables is available with the latest version of Process Simulate, but it does require a separate license.

MR

Dreamer
Dreamer

Hi! Thanks for sharing.

I am also interested in flexible cable simulation for robotics. Could you please tell me which product number is this separate license, please @MikeRouman?

Community Manager

Hello @sofimv1,

The product name is Process Simulate Cables and is an add-on to Process Simulate. Can you please tell me why you need the product number?

Community Manager

Hello,

For anyone interested in following this video within Process Simulate, the robot model and fupa cable package can be downloaded from the GTAC download server at https://download.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/ by navigating to "Tecnomatix Products/Product updates/Planning Applications/Robot Models/KUKA/Quantec".

MR

Creator
Creator

Hi Bernard,

I found a very important issue you do not tell in your video.

I was doing this exersice for a complete KUKA Quantec Series. And after building studies and checking my nodes had the absolute zero position in the Object Tree, I found there was a difference between each Robot_Fupa (EP ) and the robot itself. When you do this exersice you have to make sure that the robot is on absolute zero in the viewer.

By dragging the robot into the viewer it is not immediately on zero. On the moment that you create the _Fupa (EP) the user creates a distance between both origins, without noticing this. Very important!

Now my question:

2019-05-23_8-35-07.jpg

Is there a quick way to resolve this, as I am finished with complete KUKA Quantec series...... Smiley Sad

Fons Hersmis (VDLSteelweld )