cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with the FANUC RCS & RobCAD

Creator
Creator

Hi everybody,

Recently I started to work with the FANUC RCS for RobCAD in order to provide a proof of concept fo a customer, and while the setup is working well and the two applicarions can connect I'm facing some issues when uploading the sample programs that the customer give us.

And while al the points/paths from the program are loaded without problem (at least none appear at the robcad command prompt window) is after i tried to start the verification of the path that I'm finding that some of the points can´t be verified due to errors in the RCS.

Some of the more common errors that I have found until now are:

############################################################
Error(-42): No target set

Error(-47): Illegal use of service. Can't do that

Error(-50): Other error

Other errors are points in singularity, bad robot configurations for certains positions for example, the wrist of the robot rotate 180° when traveling between two positions even if it have to mantain the same config all the time.

Do you know or have faced before this kind of behavior? Could be the configuration that I'm using for the Virtual Robot with the Fanuc RCS module? Or the configuration in RodCAD?

I'm using the 7.70 version for FANUC RCS and the 9.0.1 for RobCAD with all the HF installed.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advence

9 REPLIES

Re: Issues with the FANUC RCS & RobCAD

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

-42 is just a warning.

From which Robcad command do you start the simulation? I suggest to use Olp/Simulation. From Robot ToolBox, there are known issues.

It is also possible to get more information on the RCs simulation error by putting a .frvrcrc file in your %HOME%. You can use the frvrcrc template from the RCS client folder as an example. There you can turn on some RRS services that will be logged in a temporay file (you can specify where to put the temporary file in the .frvrcrc).

Creator
Creator

Hi Gilles,

I'm using the two ways, but I'm always startting with the OLP Simulation command. Sometimes I get no errors, but after a couple of times of repeating the simulation I started to se those errors that I mention and also the error related to GET_NEXT_STEP for which I presume is a singularity.

Even a few times robcad get stuck in a loop with this error and I nave no option but to kill the process and start again but it seems that is pretty much random as I repeat the same steps every time and still get differents behaviors.

I'll try in the menatime your suggetions to at least be able to see what is happening in the background.

Also if I'm trying to run several robots in a simulation with RCS whicgh will be the best way to start?

If you have any additional comments/tips on how to work with Fanuc/Robcad it would help me a lot.

Thanks

Siemens Phenom

To simulate multiple robots, you need to use Robcad / SOP.

Motion planning errors like singularity are usually reported by GET_NEXT_STEP -68. -50 is more an internal error within the RCS itself.

Creator
Creator

Gilles, thanks for your quick answers.

I´ll review some of the options for loggin an debuging that you mention and start playing with them a little to se what information is useful to me if a problem rise.

Now the issue with the movement is I think the controller (for those points that can't be calculated) as I see that is more "stricted" that the deault one, as this movement between points is it done without issues when I'm not using the RJ3.

I'm already using the SOP to create the simulation of the whole workcell my question is more focused on if several robots can be simulated with RCS at the same time (for cycle time evaluation) and what type of precautions/strategies can be used in this kind of scenario in order to minimize any potential problem.

Again, thanks for your answer

Siemens Phenom

Yes, several robots can be simulated together with RCS. You can even mix different robot vendors and RCS (ABB, KUKA, FANUC).

For Fanuc, you just need to make sure to use a different Virtual robot for each robot in the cell.

Creator
Creator

Hi Gilles,

Thanks for your help. As I mention it before, I'm able to import and run most of the programs for all the robots in the workcell. But in some cases I ended with several points that makes the robot stop at the GET_NEXT_STEP evaluation and I get a message similar to this:

-----------------------------------------------------
118 RJ3 REQUEST NEXT STEP is returned with:
ELAPSED TIME: 0.00, TOTAL: 17028.00
NUM EVENTS: 0
NUM MESSAGES: 0
-----------------------------------------------------

Is not a singularity issue, but in those cases the robot is performing several movements that put the joint values very close to their limits and while this is not affecting the real robot as it's working well (is within customer's specifications) it represents a problem in the simulation as I don't want to modify that position only to make it work, unless that is absolutely necessary.

Could be a problem with the options used for the virtual robot? I also have a complete backup of every robot in the workcell that I know can be used as a "template" for the FANUC RCS software, I already tried that option but everytime I run the wizzard I get an error message as is show in the attached picture.

Do you have any suggestions on how to figure a method to work with this?

And again, thank you..

Best Regards,

Siemens Phenom

The creation of RCS virtual robot from Robot Backup is unfortunately officially NOT supported by Fanuc.

As you said, it is likely that the real robot has different joint limits compared to the virtual robot.

If I remember correct, you can modify some robot variables (such as maybe the joint limits) when you create the virtual robot, but that is not well documented (it is some optional action at the end). As a first step you will need to identify the Fanuc system variables that contain the robot joint limits.

Creator
Creator

Hi,

Te error is always happening went the robot try to move to a new position and was in that moment that the error appears so I started to look into the properties of this point and the one who vwill be its target to see if I can spot some differences between them.

One of the robots has a remote TCP for spot welding and it turns out that the Virtual Robot doesn't have that option enabled so I create a new one from scratch with this feature and then re-load the RCS module and it worked, I can simulate the whole path without getting an error.

For the second one I found on the RJ Spot documentation that the sysvars.sv contains all the information for motion of the robot and also includes the joint limits, so I located this file from the backup and copy it to the virtual robot directory, open the webpage of the robot select the Virtual Robot Web KCL: Web KCL Page option load the file and I was able to run the whole simulation without errors.

At least I'm now being able to move forward with the study.

But it's difficult since there is not to much information available from FANUC or RobCAD is a trial/error approach and time consuming but still fun to learn. I'll continue posting any updates/errors that might appear.

Thanks you

Best Regards.

Siemens Phenom

Good to see that you have been able to update the joint limits in the virtual robot with the file from the robot backup!