Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

PLCSIM Program Settings not available in PS 12.1.1

Hello guys,

I have been trying to run simulation in PS12.1.1 with PLCSIM 5.4 SP5

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Tecnomatix-Robotics-Forum/Virtual-Commissioning-PLCS...

I suspect now that the problem was that I didn't set the S7 Project and Program for PLCSIM to download and use in PS Simulation.

The problem is that when I open the Program Settings, it looks like this:

As you can see the screen capture is from the reference manual of PS12.1.1 and the Program Settings window also from the same version of PS.

Is it possible that PLCSIM is not supported in PS12.1.1?

What version should I use instead?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES

Re: PLCSIM Program Settings not available in PS 12.1.1

Hello Adi

There were changes made recently in the Program Settings dialog, and the missing fields are no longer required, however the documentation was appearntely not changed accordingly. We will correct this in the coming version (the documentation). You should no longer have to set anything in the Program Settings dialog. 

There is a Hot Fix for PLCISM in version 12.1.2 which should be released in the next few days. The issue found there was that PLCSIM simulation sometimes causes Process Simulate to "hang". Is this what you are experincing? Does it happen both with an empty and a downloaded program? Is it possible for you to move up to version 12.1.2 and try again (just to clarify - the HFX should be out in a few days time)?

Kind regards,
Gal Snir

Hello Gal,

Thank you for the reply and information.

I just installed version 12.1.2, it still freezes when I run the simulation with PLCSIM.

After the hotfix is released, I will update the post of how it works.

Kind regards,

Adi

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author ADi
‎01-10-2016 03:32 PM

Hello Adi

The HotFix for PLCSIM on top of 12.1.2.x should be released in the next couple of hours.

You can download it here (GTAC Login required, it is HFX 004, see the HFX excel in the link for details).

Again - I can see it has not yet been uploaded to the FTP as this very moment, but it should be there soon.

If you experience any further problems please let me know (if you do not - you are also invited to let me know Smiley Happy)

Kind regards,
Gal Snir

Hello Gal,

Thank you for your help so far, I downloaded the hotfix and installed it.

The connection now works and PS doesn't freeze.

Unfortunately it doesn't work as I expected.

When I force the signal "input" I0.0 in PS,

the PLCSIM takes over the value an it changes "output" Q0.0 to true in both PLCSIM and PS.

The problem is that when I check the I0.0 signal in PLCSIM it doesn't remain checked, even if it is set to single cycle. If I click it may times, it eventualy canges to true for a split second,

but I0.0 can't be set to remain true from PLCSIM.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

I also tried with PLCSIM V13 from TIA Portal, but I can't open the default.plc file.

Best regards,

Adi

Hello Adi

I'm afraid you indeed cannot trigger Input signals manully in PLCSIM the way you tried (they drop back to 0 as you experienced).

You can of course trigger these inputs from PS. Is this a problem for you? Is it not convinient or is there some other problem doing it this way?

Lastly, PLCSIM V13.0 will not be able to work with the default.plc file from the PS setup (older version). In general TIA portal (at least V13) does not seem to work with PS and PLCSIM simulation. We are currently working on finding out what was changed in order to allow simulation of s7-300\400 (with PLCSIM V5.x) and s7-1200\1500 (with PLCISM V13.0) in PS with programs which originate from TIA.

Kind regards,
Gal Snir

Hello Gal,

It's been a while since I wrote, PLCSIM connecition is working fine.

If I think about it, it is natural to set the input signal from outside the PLC.

On other posts users sugested there are limitations to the PLCSIM connection vs. OPC Server.

What are these limitations?

I found myself some of them.

For example I can't send a word or byte, also can't access any of the bits from a larger data type(for reconverting bits to original data in PS).

Another limitation I found is that for example if I have an output signal and I want to connect it to Q1.6, I can't do it unless all previous output signals have been used. If Q0.1 is not used and connect it to Q0.1, the signal is connected.

Is it possible to send word data with OPC Connection?

What happens if I start PLCSIM on a separate machine and connect it to a router, then connect the PS workstation with OPC Server to the router. Whould it have the same limitations?

Thanks,

Adi

Hello Adi

Glad to hear things are working now Smiley Happy

I think the main limitation in using PLCSIM (classic) is that in itself it is not identical to the PLC (has a somewhat different kernel). To me that's the most relevant at least. 

Regarding Word or Byte access, I can see what you mean.But I think that PLCSIM is right here, since it blocks you writing an Output directly. Try this: Define a memory, Move the memory into the Output and then trigger the memory in the PLCSIM UI. I think that should work. However, I can trigger the individual bits of Q0, and if I then define Q0 as a Byte signal in PS, it constructs the appropriate value from the reccieved bits. Does this not work for you or are you trying something else? (see image Bit to Byte).

I can also send a Byte value from a PS Input Signal into PLCSIM (see image Byte Decimal where I force the value to 5 and can see it in PLCSIM).

Regarding the second issue - I am not sure what you mean. I can do the same listed above if I use I1 and Q1 (without having I0 and Q0 defined). 

OPC can defintely handle any native signal type, WORD included. 

Regarding the last comment, I am not sure PLCSIM Classic supports this (running it on a different machine) at all, so I really cannot say whether it will work. If you end up trying it, I'd be happy to know how it turned out.

Kind regards,
Gal Snir

Hello Gal,

It looks like I haven't added enough I/O modules to the hardware configuration, that is why I couldn't add any new signals.

Sending an input byte from PS to PLCSIM works fine, but sending the output byte to PS doesn't work.

I have tried sending the output directly, and also moving a memory byte to output. Neither of these methods work. I can't figure out why.

Thanks,

Adi

Hello Gal,

I forgot to make a setting.

Sending byte output signal from PLCSIM to PS is working fine.

Thanks,

Adi