cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

naming of cojt / jt

Recently we have encoutered some issues with naming that exeeds 255characters. Most of the time we map our library roots and therefor have less problems. But when you either copy the libary to an other place our deliver the project to our customers that's when the troube starts.

Normally when we translate a fixture it comes out in the library as e.g.

ThisIsAVeryNiceLongerNameForMyUnitOfFixtureFX02.cojt/ThisIsAVeryNiceLongerNameForMyUnitOfFixtureFX02.jt.

So here I have a longer name for the fixture that is doubled because of the cojt/jt construction. One might suggest to change the name but mostly this is just taken from catia. (and they like writing novels in their names)

One of my collegues accidently (at first) changed the name of the jt without changing the name of the cojt. And it still worked.

Question: Changing the name of the jt without changing the cojt, has anyone done this before and did you run into some unforseen issues?

At the moment I've told my collegues not to do this untill we are certain there is no backfire.

5 REPLIES

Re: naming of cojt / jt

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The name of the JT itself is not relevant.

While loading, the system looks for any JT-file inside the .cojt-folder.

When there are two JT's inside, I believe it loads first one in alphabetical order.

Of course the name of the .cojt you must not change.

Just FYI, I definitly don't recommend that, but maybe interesting in future:

With the Anniversary Update 1607, Windows 10 is able to handle longer pathes than 256 characters.

But as it's not compatible with older versions, it must be manually enabled in registry.

Never tried this myself ;-)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\FileSystem]
"LongPathsEnabled"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"LongPathsEnabled"=dword:00000001

Btw: PS got this fix in 13.0:

PR 8272106: Process Designer and Process Simulate no longer crash when the path of a .jt file is longer than 256 characters.

Thanx for your answer!

The problem lies not so much in our filesystem as in those of our customer. They demand a that any given file.jt may only have so many charachters (path + names)

I fully agree that the best option is to keep cojt and jt the same and do something about the naming in general and the path to the cojt.

Unfortunately that is not alays so easy, thanks to Catia naming conventions and options.

But when we run in to problems which can not be solved that easely we now canresort to this option

Genius
Genius

Hello @YnzeWaterlander

Just for your information, CAD translator and JT translator utilities has some features for "auto-fix" naming procedure. It can make .cojt name shorter if needed following some rules that you can setup.

Actually I've never used that (and I also have the same problem as you, but I'm not delivering files to customers, I only find those issues when I save disconnected files to open at home), but is an option that maybe can fit your need.

Take a look on CAD translator and JT translator help files located under their installation folder.

Regards!

Thanx, I will definitely have a look at it.

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

The study might load correctly, but once you'll model the component (add kinematics for example) and end modeling, the JT will get his name from the COJT folder, and that will lead you to a problem if you exceeded the Windows 255 char limitation.

So, don't do it, do not change the name.