Do you mean 

which is the best PC hardware for process simulate virtual commissioning

currently I have:

DELL PRECISION
INTEL XEON 1620 (3,6 Ghz) without hyper threading
32 GB RAM
SSD Solid-State-Drive
NVIDIA K4000

In a large cell, the performance is not so good.Modules or signals are processed slowly.

Is an "Alienware" PC with a gaming graphics card better?  (e.g. Geforce GTX 780 or SLI)

Gaming PC are also cheaper.

I don't think that really needs a CAD graphic card for process simulate.

Kind regards,

Benjamin Voelzke
8 REPLIES

Re: which is the best PC hardware for process simulate virtual commissioning

i am using Quadro 5000.It runs smoothly...

Hello

I am looking for a low cost version. (the quardo 5000 is not low cost   Smiley Happy)

Which work do you perform with PS?

For OLP or small simulations only works good, but for virtuel commissioning (line simulation) with 10 robots and 10000 signals it does not run smoothly.

Kind regards,

Benjamin Voelzke

Hello,

Generally, there are no cheap hardware configurations for PS.

It is possible to use certified video cards like AMD FirePro, Intel HD and of course  Nvidia Quadro.

I didn't check Intel HD, but AMD FirePro is cheaper then Nvidia but performance is a bit lower.

If it goes for mobile workstations Dell offers are best prices (compared to MSI, HP, Lenovo, Fujitsu). Recently I got for me Dell Precision M6800 (i7-4800QM, 16GB RAM, Nvidia K3100M, Windows 7 - 64) for around 2025 Euro. It is not the best configuration but for small cells will be ok.

I think, the most cost effective option will be assembling desktop PC. Buy separately Nvidia Quadro and other components. I've did that few times in a past (although not for PS applications). System will work fine but as a whole it won't be certified by Siemens as 100% platform to use PS.

Regards

Krzysztof 

sorry that is not the question.

PS dosen't work with shadows, mirror or dynamic colors.

Almost all components are solids and not surfaces.

In this case graphic calcutation should be much less.

Is a gaming graphic (GTX770) card a better solution instead of a CAD graphic card (Quadro K5000)?

I think the requirerments of PS are not the same like CAD Software (CATIA, MAYA).

The focus is more on simulation (motion) and not to show components/parts in high level of detail.

I'am searching a solution for big cells for virtuel commissioning. (line simulation mode)

Kind regards,

Benjamin Voelzke

Hi,

If we try to simulate (virtual commissioning) a cell with more than 5 robots it performs really slow, already tried to change the settings for quality/speed, even changed the opengl options...but we could not succeed performing a smooth simulation.

Someone already found a solution for this issue?  We already tried on PS 11.1.R3/12.1 and 13.1.

Thanks, 

Hallo,

The newest Version of Process Simulate with newest Controller has the best Performance.

But lot of small thinks (signal handling, logic blocks, Parts ) bring better Performance.

Kind regards,

Benjamin Voelzke

Do you know if there is any documentation explaining how to change these things to bring better performance?

Thanks a lot!

Sorry, i don't have documentation.

These are long experience.

Kind regards,

Benjamin Voelzke