cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic audio file creation - When playing back in Test.Lab

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I previously successfully used a configuration files in the LMS user configuration folder called AudioWavPlayback.ini

The file contained the following text and would automatically save an audio log in a .wav format when playing back sounds either in using Audio Replay or Sound Diagnosis.

[Audio Playback]
LogEnabled=1
LogFileWav=C:\Users\pfernand\Desktop\Audioreplayfiles

Since I got my new laptop it has stopped working and I can't figure out the reason why.

1. I have tried using local folders instead of network folders.
  2. I have also tried deleting the configuration folder and starting again.
  3. I have ensured the folder name contains no spaces (did not expect this to make a difference).

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES

Re: Automatic audio file creation - When playing back in Test.Lab

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hello - 

I asked around on my team, and no one was aware of this functionality.  However, I just tested it on my PC and indeed when I playback audio from Test.Lab 16, I can get a *.wav file automatically created in the folder I specify.

I copied this file:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\LMS\LMS Test.Lab 16A\central\Configuration\AudioWavPlayback.ini"

To my Test.Lab user configuration folder:

"C:\Users\...\UserConfiguration\ms21xj\LMS Test.Lab 16A\Configuration\AudioWavPlayback.ini"

And then edited the contents of the *.ini file like this:

[Audio Playback]
LogEnabled=1
LogFileWav=D:\Users\ms21xj\Desktop

Lastly, in Test.Lab I browsed to an audio file, added it to a display, right-clicked on the function and selected "Audio Replay".  This then automatically created on my Desktop a file called "AudioLogFile.wav", which contained the output of my playback.  I verified that it seemed to work for both mono and stereo playback types, as well as pressure (~20khz) sample rate and acceleration (~4khz) sample rate data.

If you've followed the steps above on your own system, I can't think if why it would not work on a new PC.  Maybe there is a difference in sound card hardware?  What about file-type association to the *.wav files - does your new computer use the same program to open and playback those files?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Jason,

I have been in contact with the GTAC support line, it seems that there is an issue with new installations. In my case on Test.Lab 14A.

This was the reply I received from GTAC.

Dear Prashant,

I was able to test this on a new system. I can reproduce the issue. After installing TestLab the save to .wav file does not work.

The other test were done on systems that have a combination of multiple versions of the TestLab and TestXpress software. Here the issue was not reproducible.

Our development team will need to investigate what is missing with the clean install of TestLab.

Best Regards

Stijn

I will share an update when they rectify this bug.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Sorry to bother you guys, but this seems to be the only topic about audio file playback issue in this forum? I also have a audio problem here and would you mind give me an answer? I downloaded a .DSS audio file on the internet (for my own job's need) but it could not be opened on my IOS player and I do not know why. I downloaded this audio converter as you can see (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com...ss-to-mp3.html) to convert DSS to MP3 for a better compatibility with my IOS devices. However, just before conversion, it asked me to preset some parameters, i know i should choose MP3 as the output. But how about the bit rate and sample rate? What do these 2 audio parameters mean? I have know idea because it is my first time to convert audio files. What should i do?

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius
From a quick web search, the *.DSS format is specific to Olympus brand audio recorders, the background is described in this Wiki article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Speech_Standard

In order to use those files with any common playback or analysis tools, you will indeed need to convert them to an alternative format. A few different posts pointed to this tool:
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

I have not downloaded or tried it of course. In regards to your question about the *.DSS sample rate or bit rate, I would suggest either viewing the file properties (rt.-click menu) in Windows / OSX, or maybe see if you can get a copy of the Olympus audio player, as it sounds like that will allow you to save in WAVE file format.