Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find my time data

Creator
Creator

Hello all,

I recently copied my LMS Test.Lab project to a network drive.  Now when I go to look at my time data, I cannot view it.  There is a red "X" mark

link.png

Where is my time data?

7 REPLIES

Re: Can't find my time data

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi there - 

More than likely your time-date throughput, or LSDF files, are located in a folder back on the PC hard drive where your Test.Lab project file was saved.  The setting for saving time files is determined in Tools -> Options -> Data, and the default is "Semi-Embedded", like this:

4-28-2017 7-23-03 AM.jpgTools -> Options -> Data - File storage settings in Test.LabWith that setting enabled, if your project is called "MyData.lms", there will be a folder you can find in Windows Explorer that sits at the same directory level as the project, and it will be named "MyData".  Inside that folder will be directories for each Section and Run in your project file, along with the corresponding LSDF files.  An example directory structure in Windows would look like this:

4-28-2017 7-34-39 AM.jpgExample file structure for Semi-Embedded throughput data storageIf you go back to the PC from which you copied the project file, and then copy the entire throughput folder contents to the same network location as the project file, exiting and re-opening it in Test.Lab should automatically link back to the appropriate files.

Lastly, note that the reason for storing the throughput files "along side" the project file is to help control the project file size.  The *.lms project is intended to contain acqusition settings, processed data, 2D / 3D functions etc., but not raw time data files.  Putting all of that information in the project file would oftentimes cause it to get very large very quickly, which would of course slow down access and manipulation of the data.

Creator
Creator

Thanks, I never knew that.  I have not had to copy data off of my PC before.

After copying the corresponding directory to the project, everything is working.

Gears Genius Gears Genius
Gears Genius

I'd like to reopen this topic...

I recently moved an entire project folder, containing both the setup (.lms) file, and the mating folder containing the Section folders and individual Run .ldsf files. 

I commonly create a top-level folder called "LMS Files" for each project, and save everything inside that folder to keep the data files and setup together.  I don't tend to move data often, but I had to move this data.

Now, after the move, I don't have access to the Throughput data.  I can see the Run Folder, inside the Section folder in Windows Explorer (see Photo 3 below), but in SimCenter, the Throughput has a little red 'x' on it, like the data wasn't moved with the .lms setup file (photo(s) removed). 

If I manually dig down to the folder location under 'My Computer' in SimCenter, I get an error when I click on the Run Folder that says "! Internal error. [1%]" (photo(s) removed).

This is an odd one, since the other Section (name(s) removed) in this same setup has the Throughput data attached no problems, and the entire setup/data was moved as a batch.  Any help would be appreciated, since this wasn't easy or fun data to collect, and worse now that it's getting cold outside.

Thanks!

Shelly

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi Shelly,

From photo 1 where the link is broken for throughput, can you righ click on the link-> Properties->General->location, that's where the LDSF file should be, here's an example:

Picture1.jpg

Can you go from Windows Explorer to that file location, is the ldsf file at that location?  If not, you'll need to move the ldsf file to that location; sometime you can select the broken link right click->View\Change LDSF name.. in the new popup menu there's browse button, that allow you to browse to the new LDSF file location and repair the link.  

Picture2.jpg

Good Luck!

Hong

Gears Genius

Thanks for the quick reply Hong.  I tried both of your options:
#1 - General Properties - the .ldsf file is where it belongs according to the properties shown
#2 - View/Change LDSF name - I don't have a Browse option.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the IT problem I had when attempting to VPN into work this last weekend.  I had major problems with VPN and accessing the network, and I was attempting to work on this SimCenter setup.

I'm trying another option now: since the files are buried so deep, with many layers of folders, I'm trying to Copy/Paste the 'LMS Files' folder to my Desktop.  This doesn't look promising though, since Windows is giving me an error saying it 'Cannot find this item' and pointing to the .ldsf files, even though I can see the .ldsf file(s) in Windows Explorer!  It doesn't make sense.

Thanks again - I'll keep trying Smiley Sad

Proof the .ldsf file Windows can't locate is there (and ≈12MB in size):

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi Shelly,

Do you have another copy of this project saved on an external hard drive or different location on this PC?  If you do, you can try to copy the project again but save to a shorter path than it used to.  Windows does have 255 characters limitation from the file name including the folder/root directory, so if resaving the project to a shorter path that might help.  Also, can you try to save the current project to a different name with a shorter path?  Will the new project works?

From your previous screen shots, you did have trouble accessing the run folder/LDSF file from my computer.  Have you tried all the runs?  You might able to access some, but not all the LDSF.  If you cannot access the data from Testlab, if you like please share the project with me, and I can try if there's a way to recover the file.  Some or all the LDSF files could be corrupted during the VPN connection(network connection intermittent issue).  

Hong

Gears Genius

I had to revisit this same data file(s) today, due to a coworker wanting to access this .ldsf data.  I reread thru this forum thread, and it was the length of the path after re-saving the data.

I simply used 'save as', and saved the entire file locally, and my .ldsf files are now visible.

Thanks again Hong!