Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I calculate N10 Time Varying Loudness in Simcenter Testlab?

Experimenter
Experimenter

According to a specification I received, I need to calculate N10 Time Varying Loudness.

I am not even sure what this is.  Can I calculate this in Simcenter Testlab?

1 REPLY 1

Re: How do I calculate N10 Time Varying Loudness in Simcenter Testlab?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

First, here is what N10 means:

• N is time varying loudness. It is calculated to the DIN 45631 standard.  It produces loudness values in sones versus time. 
  • 10 is short for 10th percentile. It is the sone value that 10% of the loudness values are above, and 90% of the values are below.

Here are the steps to calculate N10 Time Varying Loudness in Simcenter Testlab:

1. Under Tools -> Add-ins turn on “ANSI-IEC Octave Filtering”, “Signature Throughput Processing”, and “Sound Quality Metrics”.

2. Go to the “Time Data Processing” worksheet to process Loudness versus time.

3. Under “Acquisition Parameters” select “Change Settings”:

• Measurement Mode: Tracked
  • Tracking Method: Time
  • Duration: Can be set to large time, longer than the recording length.  Increment should be set to 0.01 seconds.

track_trig.png

4. Under “Channel Processing” select “Change Settings”. Turn off “Save Waterfalls” under the Acoustic tab.  This will save some diskspace and keep the project size smaller.

save_waterfalls.png

5. In “Section” select “Change Settings”, and find the “Psychoacoustic Metrics RTO” tab.  Turn on “Time Varying Loudness DIN45631 – diffuse and free field”.

loudness_din_time.png

6. Press “Calculate” in Throughput Processing.  Go to the Navigator to view the results.

7. Display the loudness versus time in a FrontBack display, right click on the legend and choose “Options”.

Options.jpg

8. Select the “Calculated Content” tab.  Choose “Statistical Value – 90% Percentile” from the left and use the arrow key to put it on the right in the “Selected” column. Turn on unit label and add a prefix for the legend.

legend.png

9. The 90% percentile value or N10 is now displayed in the legend.  10% of the loudness values are above this value, and 90% of the values are below this value. Right click on the legend and choose “Copy Values” to put in Excel.  After doing the copy in Testlab, select Paste in Excel.

CopyValues.png

This can be done for multiple traces at once if desired.