Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed up Scadas Frontend connection?

Creator
Creator

After I connect my Scadas to my laptop via ethernet, it takes a long time before LMS Test.Lab will talk to it.  Seems like the PC is trying to connect for a while.

If I wait several minutes to connect, it will make the connection. Is there any way to speed up the connection process?

9 REPLIES

Re: Speed up Scadas Frontend connection?

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

You need to assign a fix IP address at your Network to 169.254.100.101.

Pls following link under topic "Network adapter configuration"

Link:https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?sort=desc&q=scadas&pd=lms-scadas&...

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Here is a little more on the topic

1. All LMS SCADAS units come with a IP address that starts with 169.254.x.x
  2. When your network card is set to “Obtain an IP address automatically”, it tries to connect to the internet. Because it is connected directly to the Scadas, an internet connection is not possible, so it takes a long time to time out.
  3. Changing the network card setting to a fixed IP address starting with 169.254.x.x saves a lot of time, since no connection to the internet is attempted.

Here are the instructions on changing it:

1. Open the “Network and Sharing Center” in Windowsshare_center.png

2. Choose “Change Adaptor Settings” on the left side of the “Network and Sharing Center” change.png

3. A list of network adaptors on your PC appears. Right click on the Local Area Connection Ethernet adaptor and choose “Properties”properties.png

4. In “Properties” select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and press the “Properties” buttonip4.png

5. The Internet properties may be set “Obtain an IP address automatically”. If so, this may be creating the long delay in being able to connect. 

automatic.png

6. Switch to “Use the following IP address” and set: IP address: 169.254.100.101, Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

Fixed.png

Press OK and try connecting again, should be much faster!

Note: When the IP address is set to 169.254.x.x. no internet connections are possible thru that specific network port.

Experimenter
Experimenter
The explanation is very useful but i have a lms scadas Mobile but I don't know its IP adress. I tried several IP numbers but it has still no connection. How can i find my device IP address? 169.254.x.x I don't Know x.x

When i click the solution link it gives error.
Page Forbidden
Access to the requested resource is forbidden.

Siemens Legend

You don't need to know the specific IP address for your frontend.  You can enter: 165.254.100.100 for any frontend, it'll work.  If you enter the exact IP address for your frontend, will not work.  You'll not able to connect.  If you really want to know the IP address for your specific frontend, you can always use "Frontend scan", which it's locate in Start menu->LMS Test.Lab 17(or any version)->Tools->Frontend Scan.

Hong

Siemens Legend

In order to access the link, you must have a GTAC user account which require a valid user name and password.

Hong

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello,

All Scadas Mobiles and Scadas XS's have a unique IP address of 169.254.xxx.xxx.  What was suggested is setting the Network card,  Internet Protocol version 4 settings to an IP address of 169.254.100.101 and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.  

That will find all Scadas systems.  Your individual Scadas will not have an address of 169.254.100.101 but something different.  This will allow windows to find it quickly.  If you leave your network card setting to find IP address automatically it may take Windows 2-3 minutes to find it.

If neither method (fixed IP address or find address automatically) work then you have some trouble with the installation and should either follow this troubleshooting guide from the GTAC solution center or reach out to your local support team.  It could be a problem with the installation, your firewall, our antivirus, etc.

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?sort=desc&q=UTP&dt=faq&file_type=...

Creator
Creator

Could you also provide similar step by step instructions for Windows 10?

Siemens Legend

Instructions are the same for Windows 10.  Can you find "Network and Sharing center" or "Control Panel"?  Once you're there, please follow the instructions from the thread above.

Hong

Creator
Creator

Found it!