Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I view data in Google Earth?

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

(view in My Videos)

Can I view my GPS data in Google Earth?

Answer: Yes, you can!  You just need to export your LMS Test.Lab GPS data into a KML file.

A KML file (or Keyhole Markup Language) contains GPS co-ordinates.  A KML file can be used with Google Earth to visualize the location a measurement was taken with a GPS equipped LMS SCADAS data acquisition unit.

To export, right click on the LMS LDSF file and choose "Export to -> GPS -> KML..."To export, right click on the LMS LDSF file and choose "Export to -> GPS -> KML..."

Exporting GPS KML File to Google Earth

To produce a KML file from LMS Test.Lab, select a measurement containing GPS:

1. Right click and choose “Export to -> GPS -> KML...”  Name your file.

2. Double click on the KML file to open in Google Earth

Setting Up GPS on LMS SCADAS

GPS data can be recorded on a SCADAS in parallel with all other types of channels (ie, accelerometers, microphones, strain gauges, etc)

• Insert the GPS antenna into the appropriate connector on your LMS  SCADAS.  Note: In a motor vehicle, the antenna receiver can be placed on a dashboard to properly see satellites.  It is not necessary to put it on the roof and run the cable through a door, despite the fact that it has a magnetic base.  This can save the antenna cable from being damaged by the opening and closing of the door.

Plug the GPS antenna directly into the appropriate port on your LMS SCADAS. It is a single connection.Plug the GPS antenna directly into the appropriate port on your LMS SCADAS. It is a single connection.

• In LMS Test.Lab, on the “Channel Setup” Worksheet, set “Clock Sync:” from “None” to “GPS”

In "Channel Setup" worksheet, set "Clock sync:" to "GPS" in the upper right corner.In "Channel Setup" worksheet, set "Clock sync:" to "GPS" in the upper right corner.

• In the “Measure” Worksheet, click on the “More…” button

Press the "More..." button in the Measure worksheetPress the "More..." button in the Measure worksheet

• Turn on the checkbox for "Measure GPS Data" and press the "Close" button.

Turn on checkbox for "Collect GPS Data"Turn on checkbox for "Collect GPS Data"

KML File History

The KML (Keyhole Markup Language) file is named after Keyhole corporation, which was a commercial spinoff of the CIA.  Google bought Keyhole in 2004.

Related LMS Test.Lab acquisition tips:

LMS Test.Lab Display Tips:

Contributors