Materials... what am I missing?

Phenom
Phenom

Well I know there have been a lot of improvements to Materials in ST7 but I still find issues with a few things.

So I start a new assembly and Part 1 is Aluminum 6160 series. But I don't want the goofy texture SE gives it, I want a more realistic Hard Coat Annodized look. So How the hell do I do this?

But what's even more infuriating is once I do figured this out... and barely, I have no way of using it again in a new part.

Nect part with the same material.... yup the material is there but NOT the color I want.... it's back to the SE default Aluminum Texture.

Am I crazy or is this just another one of those areas were you can do it, but not with wasting a tremendous amount of time?

Watch here: http://screencast.com/t/pUO2YAvCI

Bob

15 REPLIES

Re: Materials... what am I missing?

Builder
Builder

I have not tried this to test this theory, but couldnt you copy a material and re-paste it back into the folder? Rename to something like "Aluminum, 6061-T6 (bob)". Then link the desired texture to the new/renamed material. In essense there would be two materials/same properties/different textures. 

Just a thought....not sure if it works!

-Nate-

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Bob.

Just tried this and it works.

Materials properties/ face style/ Change the colour to what you would like

Save button.

Copy the material and pase it back in rename and its in your materials. same material spec but your colour.

Maybe you have tried this and not what you are looking for ?

George.

Phenom
Phenom

George,

Yes I think that's I did it. I guess I was hoping NOT to have to do so many steps to get this accepted as a New Material.

There should be a Add New Material "BASED ON" button. Then be able to SAVE this and then see this on All new Parts, but more importantly with OLDER Parts as well.

For example if I re-use (especially now with Synch I do this a lot ) many old parts in new designs. So for example my new machine uses a similar Base/Table as one I did a few years ago. All the Parts are made from SS, but since these parts were originally made, I've upgrade the look of the material. Well SE makes you go into every part and Update the Face Styles individually instead of importing them as they are now.

Bob

Phenom
Phenom

This is more tedious than it could be, but I also see the potential danger if you're a larger company and some joker decides to mess with the base materials, thereby changing everyone's older details. Perhaps some type of 'apply all' to only have to go through this process once per material in an assembly?

-Dylan Gondyke

Have you already tried to copy the material face style to the other part?

You can do this via styles.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Phenom
Phenom

Yes there are ways to do all this.

I guess I was hoping that ST7 had better capabilities to avoid all this copying from one part to another. 

There neeeds to be more effort to make FaceStyle more of a Global Library like Materials so that once you've set how a Material of Face Style looks, it's universal.  But as I said in my earlier post, using an older Assembly as a tamplate in order to create a new one, requires lot of work (copying and pasting) to update it to these new styles, etc.

Bob

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

what I have seen is, that is is sufficient to copy the new defined face style with texture to the MTL.

After that I have chosen this material and the new colors and textures were applied.

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There neeeds to be more effort to make FaceStyle more of a Global Library like Materials so that once you've set how a Material of Face Style looks, it's universal.

Bob,

This is pretty much the case now.  If you modify/create a Face Style and assign it to an existing or new material in the Material table, when you open your old part file, that modified or new material and face style is readily available to be applied to your old part.  Once you assign a material from the ST7 Material Table to your old part, the Face Style comes along for the ride. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qufs7giibA&list=UUtebBkvzCUgEsS-GLhsJBOg

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Phenom
Phenom

Kevin,

Thank you... that's what "I was missing"

I couldn't find anything tutotrial on how to do this, but this is a keeper.

Bob